Every once and a while, someone sees one of my syllabi or attends a workshop and wants a bit more information. So, this is where I am sharing my syllabus related goodies.
My Workshop Powerpoint: Download Syllabusworkshop
Obviously the workshop powerpoint misses the magic of my stunning workshop facilitation :) and the cool ideas of all of the faculty who are sharing their thoughts and syllabus during the workshop, but it does provide a broad outline of my take on writing syllabi.
And Some Current Syllabi:
- English 100: Download Compsylf12
- American Literature: Download Amstudsylf12
- American Studies: Download Amlytsyl12
Finally, here are some links I have used to develop syllabi material in the past. I have not updated them recently, so visitor beware, you may encounter more than a view "dead" links here:
Two Starting Points:
The University of Minnesot'as Syllabus Tutorial is the best site I have found for syllabus development information. Aside from walking a teacher step by step through the process, the Minnesota site also articulates a practical but principled philosophy behind crafting a syllabus.
The site also includes several other interesting resources:
Ken Bain's The Promising Syllabus: This is my favorite syllabus site and the one that has most influenced my thinking and teaching lately. Ken emphasizes the role of the syllabus as a promise or invitation. If you are interested in rethinking your approach to syllabi, Ken's site is a great place to start.
Useful Syllabus and
Teaching Related Links
- Teaching Tips Index (Honolulu Community College): Preparing A Course Syllabus
- Center for Teaching Effectiveness (Delaware): Designing a Learning-Centered Syllabus
- Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (Iowa): Learning-Centered Syllabi
- Center for Teaching and Learning (Chicago): Syllabus Design Resources
- Center for Excellence in Teaching (USC): Teaching and Learning
- Center for Teaching and Learning (Cornell): Teaching Materials
- Online Syllabus Ideas : Human Factor Standards for the Design of Online Syllabi
- Center for History and New Media: syllabus finder